When Wendell from “The Bachelorette” came to town on Valentine’s Day, I had a few questions for him. Oddly, he answered …
1. Would you have really married Jen?
There is no possible way I would have asked Jen to marry me at the end of six weeks. It just does not make sense to rush an engagement and set yourself up for failure. Especially in front of 20 million people. However, that’s not to say it couldn’t work for somebody else–just not me!
2. Are you sad that you never got your People magazine cover?
The exposure from the show is a lot of fun but I think I will survive not making the cover of People. My local newspaper suits me just fine!
3. Is Jen as dumb as she seems on TV?
4. Do you think you were accurately portrayed in “The Bachelorette”? Was your family?
I believe that my personality was portrayed fairly well on the show but at the same time I hope I have much more depth to me than just a couple of quotes here and there in regard to a particular individual. They captured my energy, just not all of it. My family is a fun, laid-back group of people who enjoy having a great time. I think they did an awesome job on the show and if I did not know them I would want them as my in-laws!
5. Have they asked you to be the next Bachelor? Do you know who the next Bachelor is?
I would never be the next Bachelor because I am genuinely looking to meet someone sooner rather than later, but I do know who the next Bachelor is. I will keep that a secret, though.
6. Why did you look for love on national TV?
I did not apply for the show nor was I convinced I would find love on national TV. I thought it would be an experience I would always remember. I have always wanted to live an interesting life and I was certain this experience would fall under that category, which it did. As a bonus I walked [out] with some new friends and great stories.
7. Why were you at the Cans in Milwaukee and not Chicago?
I rotate between the Cans in Chicago and Milwaukee. It is just as much fun for me to talk to everyone as I hope I make it for everyone who comes to watch the show!
8. Have you tried to be on other reality dating shows?
No other reality shows, nor will there ever be.
9. Do you have any advice for any future Wendells out there?
Keep your conversations short, follow every beer with a water and don’t pass out the first night.
10. Was Fabrice really gay or just French?
Fabrice is as French as they come. He is not gay, although I do think he had a crush on Jerry.
11. Do you think you’re a celebrity? Do other people?
I am absolutely not a celebrity, but the fact of the matter is that the reality TV genre is not going anywhere fast … so for the next four months people will know my name until the next guy accepts a rose.
12. Are you having an easier/more difficult time meeting women now that you’ve been on the show?
I would be lying if I said it was not significantly easier to meet women, but if you don’t have anything to say after the introduction, it won’t make a difference anyhow. But the head start is nice.
Wendell was quite impressive as a pseudo television personality–very affable, rather intelligent, fun to talk to and significantly cuter in person than on TV. Though he wouldn’t tell us who won the show or how dumb Jen really is, he did provide a remarkable insight into the show’s process. I’ve met many self-important TV douche bags in my day and I’m happy to report that Wendell is not one of them.
(From February 17th, 2005)